Friday, September 6, 2013

Have Fun Like a Kid


Talk with any parent and they will tell you that it is one of the greatest joys in life. People can tell you how great it is and how quick and they grow up, and how they learn things so fast along with all the other things that you've probably heard a thousand times. 

But being a parent is something you cant describe. Words can only do so much justice. You can tell your best friend about how awesome the new roller-coaster is at the theme park, but you cant replace the wind blowing through their hair. You can’t describe the G-forces you experience going through the turn. Words will never compare to the adrenaline you get.  The only way to experience the thrill and fun is to actually do it. 

My point is that having a child is a great wonder. They are so carefree and enjoy the little things in life. They don’t judge people or call them names. They may un-invite you to their birthday party, but we all know it's all just talk. The mothers have the ultimate say in everything, that's a key point. They are always up for sharing without hesitation. They can meet new children and not have that awkward stage of what to say, that us adults are too familiar with.

My big question is why can’t we be more like kids? Why doesn't anybody get excited anymore about playing outside? I never see any bicycle groups or kids building bike jumps in the empty land lot Nobody cares about running through the sprinkler, or building houses with blocks. And I realize that as you grow up you get more advanced toys and more "grown-up" toys. But that's not my point

Why does it seem like people have lost their joy for the little things. I understand I'm not a kid anymore and these things might still happen and I just don't see them. But my challenge is; that everybody is so caught up in the hustle and bustle of that big and scary word we call LIFE. 

But for one day, or ever a few hours, I want you to go get some lunchables, maybe even some juice pouches. Then grab some friends, put on an old Disney movie or something and enjoy the little things. Go the local swimming pool or go play a game of capture the flag, hide and seek, cops and robbers, water wars. The list goes on and on. 

Be a kid again and enjoys things through their eyes. 

2 comments:

  1. I often think about this myself. There is a ton of hesitation and over-thinking of situations by adults. Will you be sharing stories about raising your children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason we forget these things as we all grow up is that growing up, we get hurt by being vulnerable to the world and our peers. As they say, "kids can be cruel," and not that people are inherently malice, but just like the positive experiences, we all learn about the impact we have on others. Unfortunately, bad experiences have a way of teaching us, especially at a young age, to keep our guard up.

    Asking these questions, I believe, does a lot of good though. I think we can once again teach ourselves to be vulnerable and relearn the joys of raw emotion and experience. Having children is a great example of doing this vicariously through another by exposing children to the wonders the world has to offer.

    ReplyDelete